Make the most of you!
Finishing Grade 12 is an exciting time in a young person’s life, as he or she starts to think seriously about the future and obtaining a degree. Our Damelin Bachelor of Commerce degrees are the perfect starting point on the road to success. These fully accredited qualifications will give graduates all the knowledge and skills that they will need to launch a lucrative career.
At Damelin, students can obtain an accredited and widely-recognised degree without ever experiencing an overcrowded university lecture theatre or any of the other frustrations associated with South Africa’s universities.
Damelin degrees are widely recognised in the marketplace. They are registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training and fully accredited by the Council on Higher Education. Each degree specialises in a particular subject, giving students all the advantages of a career-focused education. Our academic team stays on the pulse of their respective industries, and they pass on their cutting-edge knowledge to their students.
With a Damelin Bachelor of Commerce degree, graduates are guaranteed to be thoroughly equipped to make the most of every career opportunity that will come along in the future.
Professor P Beard
(Group Chief Academic Officer)
Damelin holds the key to every student’s future success, with Full-Time and Part-Time courses offered via face-to-face tuition. Damelin has 16 campuses and 17 franchises across South Africa, all offering students the opportunity to gain an education of the highest calibre while making the most of our highly-qualified lecturers and state-of-the-art facilities. We have been successfully educating students in South Africa for 68 years.
Damelin is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education institution under the Higher Education Act, 1997, and fully accredited by the Council on Higher Education. Damelin is also provisionally registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private further education institution under the Further Education and Training Colleges Act, No. 16 of 2006. In addition to this, Damelin is provisionally accredited by Umalusi, the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training.
Damelin is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Educor Group, which is the largest provider of private education in Southern Africa in terms of student enrolments, providing people from all walks of life with access to high quality education. Damelin’s vision is to lead and inspire quality private education and training throughout Southern Africa and the African continent, and to continue to add value to the world’s emerging educational requirements.
To be a provider of quality learner focused education, and to lead and inspire quality private education and training throughout Southern Africa and the African continent.
To deliver highly regarded qualifications on multiple NQF levels, to meet regulatory requirements as they apply to private institutions and exceed all expectations of quality.
- Damelin is registered and accredited by all the relevant regulatory bodies, including the Department of Higher Education and Training, and the Council on Higher Education.
- Students at Damelin are taught by highly qualified lecturers in state-of-the-art facilities.
- Damelin is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Educor Group, and has a legacy of over 68 years in educational excellence.
THE ADVISORY BOARD
- Damelin’s academic Advisory Board serves our students by ensuring that all Damelin programmes are in line with the requirements of regulatory bodies such as the Department of Higher Education and Training and the Council on Higher Education.
- These experts are well-versed in academic trends and developments, and their knowledge is filtered through into the academic content of Damelin programmes.
- The Board makes an invaluable contribution to the employability and practical know-how that every graduate obtains while working towards his or her degree.
Professor P Beard
Educor Group Chief Academic Officer
Mr M Ntombela
Director - Department of Higher Education and Training
Dr KV Moodley
Medical practitioner in private practice
Mr J Visser
Regional Manager (Africa) - City and Guilds International
Mr M Janse van Rensburg
Director – Future Flyers
Dr M Mkhize
First Lady of KwaZulu-Natal
Mr A Layman
CEO - Durban Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Professor R Chetty
Professor of Education - Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Dr DM Laxton
CEO – DTS CC
- Damelin is committed to academic excellence.
- Damelin is committed to ensuring that all our degrees adhere to the highest standards of quality, thereby ensuring that our graduates are ready for the workplace.
- Damelin offers fully accredited BCom degrees specialising in a variety of fields, and also offers diplomas, certificates and short programmes.
- Damelin’s academic team maintains our range of relevant and innovative programmes by keeping up to date with all developments in the various disciplines related to the subject areas taught.
- All Damelin lecturers are at the cutting edge of current educational thinking and advancements pertaining to skills development.
- All Damelin courses meet the requirements of the relevant regulatory bodies.
- Damelin makes significant contributions to the communities where each campus is located.
- As part of the Educor Group, Damelin undertakes various Corporate Social Investment initiatives, such as contributing towards the Educor Annual Clothing Collection. Damelin has also entered into partnerships with organisations such as Edcon, the Foschini Group, the JD Group, the KZN Society for the Blind and Deaf Society and the Amy Biehl Foundation.
- In conjunction with the KwaZulu-Natal Spousal Office of the Premier, Damelin recently awarded 100 bursaries to students across the province.
Private Tertiary Education Worldwide
- Damelin makes every effort to minimise its carbon footprint, both at Head Office and at campus level.
- Each campus runs a comprehensive recycling programme.
- Energy and water saving initiatives are adopted wherever possible.
International Trends in Private Education
Some of the most highly acclaimed and recognised universities in the world are privately owned. These esteemed institutions are well known all around the world, and have produced many graduates who have made remarkable contributions to their respective industries. Here are some examples:
University of Fredericton – Canada
Princeton University – USA
- Pioneering University offering fully accredited degrees online.
Stanford University – USA
- The 4th oldest college in the United States.
- Michelle Obama and well-known author Jodi Picoult graduated from Princeton.
Harvard University – USA
- Graduates include Sergey Brin and Larry Page – the creators of Google.
MIT – USA
- Established in 1636.
- Produced graduates such as US President Barack Obama, and Mark Zuckerberg – the founder of Facebook.
Saint Thomas Aquinas University – Colombia
- Buzz Aldrin (the second man to walk on the moon) and William Hewlett (co-founder of Hewlett-Packard) graduated from MIT.
Dublin Business School – Ireland
- Oldest university in the country, established in 1850.
- Renowned for providing well-rounded education.
Damelin – South Africa
- Developed a reputation for helping its students to receive exceptionally high pass rates in examinations offered by external professional bodies.
University of Notre Dame – Australia
- Offers quality private education.
- Opened its doors in 1943.
- Boasts a network of 16 campuses.
Bond University - Australia
- Committed to personalised education, providing students with all the benefits of private tertiary education.
- Herbet Appleroth, CEO of Japan Ferrari and well-known Australian news presenter Wendy Kingston are among Bond’s esteemed graduates.
Quick Facts About Private Education
- Many of the men and women who have shaped our world obtained their degrees at private education institutions.
- Internationally, many of the most esteemed and widely known universities, including the Ivy League universities (such as Harvard and Yale), are privately owned.
- In South Africa, private education institutions are able to provide students with small classes, individual attention, and an education unmarred by striking and student uprisings.
Private Tertiary Education in South Africa
Many South African universities have lost their ranking and status over the years, both nationally and internationally. Students spend an average of four to five years completing an undergraduate degree that should take three years to complete. Damelin, as a fully accredited private education institution, provides a viable alternative and offers students an enriching learning experience.
PRIVATE EDUCATION AT DAMELIN VS SOUTH AFRICAN UNIVERSITIES
|With small classes, unlimited individual attention and state-of-the-art facilities, Damelin offers your child the best possible opportunities for academic success.
||At times, BCom students will attend lectures with 500-1000 other students, and experience firsthand the difficulties that come with a lack of personal attention from lecturers.
|At Damelin, your child is completely safe and free from any student uprisings or upheaval.
||They will be studying in a campus environment that is at times fraught with unrest, striking and dangers to their personal safety.
|Damelin guarantees that students have access to all the facilities that are required for their studies.
||They will experience practical frustrations like shortage of parking facilities and long queues to gain access to computers.
|Damelin graduates enjoy all the same advantages as students who complete their degree at a public university in South Africa.
||Thousands of students are turned away every year due to lack of capacity in Universities.
|The campus environment at Damelin is small and intimate, with lecture venues easy to locate and quick to get to.
||Classes are held on sprawling campuses and students can often miss the start of lectures due to long walks between venues.
|Lecturers and tutors get to know students as individuals, and are concerned for the academic well-being of each student. If a student experiences any problems with the academic content of their course, lecturers are willing and able to assist outside of lecture times.
||Students attend classes with hundreds of other students, and are generally known by their student number rather than their name. Due to the sheer volume of students, academic staff are generally not able to assist a student if he or she falls behind.
|Damelin campuses are designed to be convenient, with ample parking for students, and access to all equipment required for their studies.
||Students frequently have to queue for access to computers and other shared equipment that they need to use. Students are required to pay for parking on campus, and finding parking in overcrowded student lots is often problematic.
Providing “Scarce Skills”
The Department of Labour has released a list of scarce and critical skills that reflect the expertise that is needed in the South African economy. Obtaining a Damelin BCom degree will empower students to capitalise on many of these opportunities and create successful futures for themselves while building a better South Africa. The list of scarce and critical skills encompasses the following professions that students can enter with a Damelin BCom degree.
- Chief Executives
- General Managers
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Managers
- Business Administration Managers
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Managers
- Miscellaneous Specialist Managers
- Retail Managers
- Miscellaneous Event, Hospitality, Retail and Service Managers
Information and Communication Management Professionals
- Business and Systems Analysts
- Database and Systems Administrators
- ICT Security Specialists
- ICT Network and Support Professionals
Business and Communication Management Professionals
- Company Secretaries
- Financial Brokers and Dealers
- Investment Advisors
- Information and Organisation Professionals
- Sales, Marketing and Communication Management Professionals
Qualifications & The Road to Success
- Accounting Clerks
- Financial and Insurance Clerks
Damelin offers a variety of degrees and diplomas, allowing each student to specialise in the field of their choice.
Damelin’s Degree-Entry Programme empowers students who have not achieved optimal results in Grade 12 to gain entry to degree programmes - getting them started on the road to success!
- Journalism & Media Studies
- Marketing Management
- Business Management
- Human Resource Management
- Public Relations
- Travel & Tourism
- Information Technology
- Media & Graphic Design
- Sound Technology
Credentials & Affiliations:
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Business Management
“Damelin offers courses which are endorsed by a wide variety of external bodies, both in South Africa and globally.”
- Damelin (Pty) Ltd is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education institution under the Higher Education Act, 1997, and fully accredited with the Council on Higher Education.
- Damelin is also registered by the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private further education institution under the Further Education and Training Colleges Act, No. 16 of 2006.
- Damelin is accredited by Umalusi, the Council for Quality Assurance in General and Further Education and Training.
- In order to give your child the opportunity to obtain the best possible tertiary education, Damelin offers courses which are endorsed by a wide variety of external bodies, both in South Africa and globally.
- Higher Education and Training Registration Certificate Number: 2001/HE07/009
- Further Education and Training Registration Certificate Number: 2008/FE07/089
- UMALUSI Accreditation Number: FET 00426 PA
- All Higher Education qualifications are registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Damelin Bachelor of Commerce Degree: Accounting (new NQF level 7)
Damelin Bachelor of Commerce Degree: Information Management (new NQF level 7)
- This programme prepares students for a successful career in the lucrative field of accounting.
- The curriculum includes a significant practical component that will introduce students to the demands of the workplace.
Damelin Bachelor of Commerce Degree: Marketing And Business Management (new NQF level 7)
- This degree will empower students to capitalise upon business opportunities within the dynamic field of Information Management and Technology.
- Students will acquire the knowledge and skills required to make a significant contribution to the business world.
- This qualification introduces students to the fields of Marketing and Business Management, and prepares them for successful careers in these fields.
- The course also includes generalised modules which will help students to thrive in today’s competitive business environment.